Flight Training in Canada
Great Lakes Helicopter has welcomed students from all over the world to train at our facility. Students have traveled from places like Spain, Mexico, Australia, India, China, Indonesia, Japan, Brazil, Dubai and Argentina to name a few.
Great Lakes Helicopter is located just a 45 minute drive from Toronto. We are nestled among the cities of Kitchener, Cambridge, Guelph and Waterloo and offer the most diverse international culture in Canada.
Helicopter Pilot Training in Canada offers many great opportunities; here is a list of some advantages:
- The Canadian License is one of the world’s most widely recognized
- Canadian flight training standards among the highest worldwide
- Experienced flight instructors with solid aviation background
- High demand for various helicopter pilot positions throughout the country
- Entry level flying positions
- Post graduate work permits available, to apply visit the Immigration Canada website here
- Competitive all inclusive flight training rates
- Challenging weather, fall and winter operations prepare students for all different work environments
International Student Requirements
- Be 18 years of age
- Proficient in the English language, both written and oral *see minimum requirements below
- Obtain a Transport Canada Category 1 Medical; see the list of certified Transport Canada approved Aviation Medical Examiners
- Copy of your passport, your high school credential or its equivalency, copy of approved Student Visa
- Have Health Insurance for the duration of your studies
- $500.00 deposit, $100.00 due with application, remaining $400.00 due upon acceptance from the Embassy
- Application form completed
*Minimum English score:
IELTS: Academic IELTS with an overall minimum score of 6.0 (with no single test score below 5.5)
CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment): Overall band score of 50
International Student Application Process
- Fill out and submit the Flight School’s Application Form with a preferred start date and a $100.00 CAD partial fee for the deposit.
- We will then send you the “Foreign Student Letter of Acceptance” that is recognized by immigration Canada; you may then proceed with the Study Visa Application with the closest Canadian Embassy. For further details about Study Visa and processing times please visit the Immigration Canada visa information page
- Upon acceptance for a Study Visa, please forward the remaining $400.00 CAD, and confirmation and proof of study visa from the Embassy.
For further assistance with admittance and arranging travel and accommodations to our Waterloo Location, please contact our General Manager and Students Coordinator Jo Anne Leyburne